The Orson Tracker 2 is a tried and tested lightweight tent popular with hunters and trampers. Started with original version back in 2012, and due to good feedback and being a popular steady seller we continue to offer them, with upgrades and improvements made along the way.
A compact and lightweight tent, easy to pitch, freestanding and ideal for those off hiking, tramping or hunting. The Orson Tracker 2 tent is a 'cosy' 2 person tent or makes a good roomy set up for 1. Front entry and vestibule to store your gear, internal storage pockets and ceiling hook to hang a light.
Packed weight has been cut down to 1.95kg everything included and packs down to around 40cm x15cm diameter. Durable, waterproof tent with a Ripstop Polyester PU3000mm fly and PU5000mm floor. Performs well in winds with a sharp, sleek profile. Air vents at front and rear of tent.
A free-standing tent that is easily pitched in a few minutes with 8.5mm Aluminium poles, easy to use Korean pole clips and pole tips slotting into the eyelet/grommet system.
Also have an optional Tracker 2 Tent Groundsheet available which can be used to protect the floor of the tent. Also means the outer fly can be set up for use on its own or set up first in rain to ensure that the inner tent stays dry while pitching.
The Tracker PRO 2 Silnylon version is also available.
If you're having trouble deciding which tent is right for you, see our tent comparison chart with main specs of all our tents.
- 3 season, 1-2 person tent
- Freestanding easy pitch design with shock-corded 8.5mm aluminium pole structure with Korean pole clips for quick, easy pitching
- Strong and durable design, handles winds well - Tried and tested design since 2012
- Light weight Ripstop Polyester fly and floor
- Waterproof PU3000mm fly and PU5000mm floor with taped seams
- Front entrance and vestibule to store pack/boots
- Front and rear vents for better airflow
- Storage pocket and ceiling lamp hook
- Packed weight: average 1.95kg everything included
- Packed size approx 40cm x 14cm diameter
- Handy wide mouth compression carry bag
- Aluminium Y pegs, guy rope attached
- Optional groundsheet also available
- Seasons: 3
- Sleeps: 1-2
- Colour: Olive green or Orange
- Inner dimensions: 210cm long x 130cm wide at head / 100cm at foot x 90cm max height
- Fly: 68D Ripstop Polyester PU3000mm with taped seams
- Inner: breatheable Polyester and fine mesh
- Floor: 68D Polyester, PU5000mm, taped seams
- Poles: series 7 shock-corded 8.5mm aluminium poles
- Pegs: 14 x 15cm Aluminium Y pegs
- Rope: 2mm red guy ropes with reflector strip attached
- Packed Weight: approx 1.95kg
- Packed size: approx 40 x 15cm
How many seasons is this tent rated for? Can I use this tent year round?
- The Tracker is a 3-season tent. While not a 4-season alpine tent it has specs that can handle year round use and handles winds well. These tents are versatile and prioritize breathability, ventilation, and protection from rain and wind to handle New Zealand’s challenging weather conditions. Note that while these tents are excellent for the majority of camping situations, they are not recommended for winter alpine camping or extreme weather conditions when specialized alpine tents designed for winter or 4-season are more appropriate.
What is silnylon? And polyester?
- Silicone-coated nylon (silnylon) often with a polyurethane PU coating in the underside and polyester with a polyurethane (PU) coating are two different types of materials used in the construction of camping tents. A thinner, lighter silnylon fabric than more traditional thicker polyester makes for a lighter more compact packed tent. The silicone coating adds to tear strength and a waterproof PU coating means seams can be taped. Read our Tent Fabrics intro for more info
What is the difference between the Tracker Pro 2 and the Tracker 2 tents?
- The tent design is the same but the fabric and some of the componentry is different. The Tracker 2 Pro is made using a lighter Silnylon fabric making it around 250g lighter with a smaller packed size. It also has YKK zips, hi-viz zipper pulls and tensioners, and comes in a green fly and grey floor. The Tracker 2 Polyester tent is made using a thicker, heavier Polyester fabric meaning it is a little heavier at 1.95kg and packs down a little heavier that the PRO version, standard zips and zipper pulls. Colour options are Olive green and Orange.
Is this suitable for 2 people?
- The Tracker 2 is a great option for people looking for a tent with plenty of room for 1 and also have the option of accommodating 2 people if needed. It’s a roomy 1 person tent and cosy 2 person. The Tracker 2 floor has a 130cm wide inner at the entrance and tapers off to 100cm at the foot end.
Is this tent waterproof?
- Yes, the Tracker has a PU3000mm PU coating on the fly and PU5000mm on the floor. These ratings will handle most weather conditions in NZ. Read our waterproofing intro for more info
Do I need a groundsheet?
- A groundsheet is optional – you can use this tent in full confidence without a groundsheet. The groundsheet is designed specifically for this tent and sits a few cm inside the inner floor to ensure that water does not get trapped in between. There are aluminium eyelets at the corners that can be used to hold it in place. The groundsheet offers …
- greater protection of the tent floor extending its life
- keeps the floor clean
- boosts floor waterproofing in wet conditions
- provides and extra layer of insulation
- reduces moisture rising up and causing condensation
- ability to set up the tent fly first or fly without the inner